Overage Claims

Overage Claim Procedures

According to State Law, the OWNER OF RECORD IMMEDIATELY BEFORE THE END OF THE REDEMPTION PERIOD is the legal claimant of the overage.

Please provide the following documentation to submit a claim:

  1. Copy of the deed by which the claimant(s) acquired ownership of the property or a copy of the real estate conveyance sheet from the Probate Court showing ownership by the Claimant(s).
  2. Copy of the Social Security Card, Driver’s License or a picture identification of the claimant(s).
  3. The owner of record immediately before the end of redemption period must sign the agreement and release form. If there are multiple owners, all must sign.
  4. Submit to the Delinquent Tax Collector Office this completed form (Agreement and Release Form) with the following attachments:
    • Deed or Probate conveyance by which Claimant(s) Acquired Property.
    • Social Security Card(s) of ALL Claimant(s).
    • Driver License or other Picture I.D. of ALL Claimant(s).

The Delinquent Tax Collector will verify the amount of the overage and verify the identity of the claimant(s). If there is any question about the veracity of the claimant(s), they will be required to obtain a court order to obtain the overage.

South Carolina Code of Laws Title 12, Section 12-51-130: Any remaining overage belongs to the owner of record immediately before the end of the redemption period. These sums are payable ninety (90) days after execution of the deed unless a judicial action is instituted during that time by another claimant. If neither claimed nor assigned within five years of the date of public auction tax sale, the overage shall escheat to the general fund of the governing body.


There is no cost to you to claim overage funds. If you have any questions, please contact Delinquent Tax at 803-245-3009.



The information on this site is made available as a public service and is to be used for reference purposes only. The Delinquent Tax Collector makes every effort to provide the most accurate information possible. However, portions of information may be incorrect or outdated, and Bamberg County does not guarantee, either expressly or by implication, the accuracy, reliability, or timeliness of any information on this website. This information is provided “as is “ without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose or non-infringement. The County retains all immunities as provided in the South Carolina Tort Claims Act.


By proceeding to use this website, each visitor agrees to waive, release and indemnify Bamberg County, its agents, consultants, contractors, and employees from any and all claims, actions, or causes of action for damages or injury to persons or property arising from the use or inability to use Bamberg County’s Delinquent Tax information.


If you are doing research to obtain overage information, please be aware that Bamberg County does not issue any overage checks to a third party. Any funds you receive either through written or verbal agreement from the defaulting taxpayer will be paid directly to you from the defaulting taxpayer and not the Delinquent Tax Collector Office. Overage checks will be made payable to the last owner of record prior to the end of the redemption. If multiple people are listed as the owners, then the check will be listed in all of the owners’ names, or issued to an estate, if the estate was the last owner of record.