To throw away, or to recycle?

Aluminum and Steel Cans - Recycle

Bring in your aluminum beverage and steel "tin" food cans. Don't worry about removing the labels, just be sure to rinse the containers. Take these items to any of the Convenience Sites or the landfill.


Appliances (White Goods) and Scrap Metal - Recycle

We accept all appliances with metal parts, which include:  stoves, washers, dryers, refrigerators, grills, bicycles, pipe, rims, heaters, aluminum siding, mowers, swings, freezers, hot water heaters, empty drums, fencing, etc. You must take refrigerators and air conditioners to the landfill, but our Convenience Sites are drop-off locations for the other materials.


Cardboard - Recycle

Don't fill your trash cans will corrugated cardboard (no wax finish) used for packing and shipping; instead bring them to any of the Convenience Sites or to the landfill for recycling. Just be sure to flatten the boxes before placing them in the correct container.


Cigarette Waste

In an effort to help reduce the amount of cigarette litter throughout the County, Keep Bamberg County Beautiful set up this program for tobacco users. Bring in your extinguished cigarettes, cigarette filters, loose tobacco pouches, outer plastic packaging, inner foil packaging and rolling paper to be recycled into ashtrays and other materials. Bring in your cigarette waste in plastic bags (grocery bags) to any Convenience Sites, the landfill, or contact KBCB (245-7970 or for a drop off location near you.


Cooking Oil - Recycle

Bring your used cooking oil to any of the Convenience Sites. The used cooking oil can be disposed of in the green barrels at each location. Ask a Bamberg County LAD Site Attendant for assistance if you have trouble locating the container.


Electronics - Recycle

We love recycling electronics and we take items such as televisions, microwaves, vacuum cleaners and other small appliances. You may take your electronics to any of the Convenience Sites or to the landfill.


Household, Newspaper and other paper - Throw Away

Just like yard debris, household garbage can include many items. Be sure to read exactly what it includes to ensure you are not missing out on any opportunities to recycle. Small plastic appliances, chemical containers, food containers, closed paint cans (if its full, be sure to take it to the landfill), paint brushes / rollers, kitchen garbage, clothes, material items, and glass food containers are included in the household category. You may take your household garbage to any of the Convenience Sites or to the landfill. Unfortunately, we do not currently recycle newspaper and other mixed paper, but are always looking for grant opportunities to fund this! Don’t forget many times when you go to throw out food, you could compost it. To find out how to start an at-home composting site, or to compost with Keep Bamberg County Beautiful call (803) 928-4623 or email for more information.


Plastics (except plastic bags) - Recycle

In Bamberg County, we love to recycle plastics! As of now, the only location to recycle those materials would be at the landfill, where you can recycle the material for free.  In the near future we hope to be able to offer this service at all of our Convenience Sites. No need to remove labels, just rise your containers and bring them to us!


You may also take your plastics to Richard Carroll Elementary School (RCES) to help with their recycling efforts. The school collects these materials as part of a recycling program, which raises money for the school. Bamberg County serves as the hauler for the plastics collected at RCES.


Plastic Bags (grocery bags) - Recycle

Unfortunately, we are unable to recycle plastic bags with our recycling program. However, you may take all of those grocery bags you have stored up at home to the BILO on Highway 78 in Bamberg. Outside of the door on the left side of the store you'll see a container for recycling plastic bags. Feel free to take any brand bag there and then shop local!


Tires - Recycle

Tires may be taken to the landfill or a Convenience Site. The County accepts 5 tires per person, per year. If you have any questions about tire recycling, please call (803) 245-3090.


Used Motor Oil, Oil Filters, and Oil Bottles - Recycle

Used motor oil, filters and bottles (oil must be free of gasoline or diesel fuel) and other petroleum products can be recycled at any of the LAD Sites or at the landfill. Please remember you must limit five gallons per trip. Not sure if your petroleum product is accepted? Checkout the list of petroleum products that can be put into the use oil collection tank:  motor oil, hydraulic fluid, gear oil, diesel fuel, fuel oil, kerosene, automatic transmission fluid, and power steering fluid.


Yard Debris - Throw Away

Yard Debris includes a wide variety of items, such as:  leaves, shingles, carpet, water hoses, mattresses, upholstered furniture, vinyl flooring, brick, cement, pine straw, insulation, plastic toys, yard furniture, garden plastic, and windows. Every Convenience Site has a container for yard debris, or you can take your materials to the landfill. Some yard debris can be used for composting. To learn more, call Keep Bamberg County Beautiful at (803) 928-4623 or email them at